Development and Autism Spectrum Disorder Assessment Package
The Development and Autism Assessment Disorder Assessment package will offer a comprehensive assessment of the individual’s developmental profile and determine whether they meet diagnostic criteria for a developmental disorder and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder. The aim of the assessment is to gain an understanding of the individual’s strengths and weaknesses and provide recommendations to assist in accessing best practice therapeutic services that can significantly improve the individual’s everyday functioning and developmental trajectory. Knowledge of an individual’s presenting problems can improve a parent’s understanding of how their child processes the world, how to communicate effectively and advocate for their child. The individual can also benefit as they can gain valuable information to build their self-awareness, social-emotional well-being, develop coping skills and maximise their strengths.
The areas evaluated in the assessment process include:
- Developmental history
- Intellectual ability and profile
- Memory and attention
- Social skills and communication
- Restricted and repetitive interests
- Stereotyped patterns of behaviour
- Adaptive and functional skills.
The diagnostic assessment includes:
- Comprehensive parent interview
- Clinical observation assessment using the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)
- Standardised cognitive assessment
- Behavioural questionnaires completed by parents and teachers
- Standardised assessment of your child’s adaptive skills
- A feedback session outlining and discussion of the assessment outcomes and recommendations for intervention
- A comprehensive clinical psychology assessment report.
Number of assessment sessions:
- Parent interview (1 session)
- Child Assessment (2-5 sessions)
- Report Feedback Session (1 session)
- There is also potentially a childcare/kindergarten/school visit that is conducted where appropriate (1 observational session)
Children under 13 who are referred for diagnostic assessment by a paediatrician or child psychiatrist are eligible for a partial rebate through Medicare under the Helping Children with Autism Package. People with private health insurance may be eligible for a rebate from their provider and should contact them for further details.
For more information please email or call (03) 9481 1944