Dr Sophie Banfield
B.SC.(HONS.), D.PSYCH.(CLINICAL), MAPS
If you would like to make an appointment or ask a question email or call (03) 9481 1944
Sophie is a child and adolescent psychologist who assesses and manages a range of presenting concerns including anxiety, low mood, selective mutism, obsessive-compulsive behaviours, and disruptive and disturbed behaviour. Sophie has a special interest in Autism Spectrum Disorders and managing the anxiety and depressive symptoms that this group of children often experience. Sophie is also passionate about working with parents to foster and grow the relationship they have with their child.
Across the Life Span
- Developmental and Autism Spectrum Disorders through the life-span – Undertaking developmental assessments and interventions for developmental disorders such as autism
- Learning Difficulties – Administering cognitive and educational assessment tools to identify learning difficulties
Children and Adolescents
- Anxiety and Depression – Assessing and treating social and emotional difficulties in children such as depression, generalised anxiety, selective mutism, panic attacks, phobias, and separation anxiety.
- Adjustment difficulties – Treating adjustment disorders experienced during life transitions and changes
- Challenging Behaviours and Parenting Skills – Assisting parents and children to reduce problematic behaviours and foster the parent-child relationship.
- Specialising in Cognitive behavioural therapy and Social Thinking to provide skill development in areas such as social problem solving, social skills, assertiveness training, anger management, sleeping, relaxation.
- Developmental and Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment
- Behavioural assessment
- Educational assessment
- Mental health assessments
Background and Experience
Sophie conducts comprehensive clinical diagnostic assessments that involve gaining an understanding of a child’s development, including strengths and challenges across different life stages. She aims to gain information about how the child is functioning at home, in the community and within their educational setting. Assessments may also involve formal testing including cognitive and academic assessments, behavioural questionnaires, and clinical observation of the child within the clinic and their educational setting.
Sophie takes a family centred approach and her therapy is goal based to ensure the best outcomes for children across the range of social settings they encounter. She works in collaboration with a child/adolescent’s health care team, including Paediatrician, Speech Pathologist, Occupational Therapist and Educators.
Sophie completed a Doctorate of Psychology (Clinical) at Deakin University. She is a member of the Clinical College of the Australian Psychological Society and is an Honorary Associate of the School of Psychology at Australian Catholic University. She has also completed advanced training in Social Thinking and the Early Start Denver Model.
Clinics and Other Employment
Melbourne Paediatric Specialists: Developmental and Autism Assessment Team: (03) 9948 5005
Sophie is involved in the specialist Developmental and Autism Assessment Team with Dr Shaamini Lokuge-Hayes, Consultant Paediatrician, and Robyn Stephen, Speech Pathologist.
Entelechy Therapy: (03) 94811944
Sophie offers clinic appointments Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.30-5pm and Thursdays 9.30-2.30pm
Sophie is approved for Medicare, FaHCSIA. Whilst not registered for the NDIS Sophie is able to see individuals who have self-managed funds.
Sophie is also available for:
- Educational consultations and observations
- Professional Development Workshops regarding anxiety and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Information sessions for parent groups regarding child and adolescent mental health concerns and autism spectrum disorders